Friday 27 July 2018

Why Do People Shame You For Starting A Youtube? In the Defence of Making Money From The Internet



Or a blog, an Instagram page or any form of social media that consists of you sharing yourself? When I first started my blog it was part of a project for uni, but I enjoyed it and more so I saw it as an opportunity to work on my writing skills and potentially use it as a sort of "portfolio" for when the time came for me to start applying for jobs. I wasn't super open with promoting it on my socials however and I was still pretty shy whenever someone mentioned my blog. My boyfriend's flatmate once rudely asked "oh do you make money from it? Why do you do it then?" I can't have a hobby?

Because these markets are so saturated I know people tend to roll their eyes when you say you're a blogger. Or they don't take you seriously because are major influencers raking it in whilst you just do it part time whilst balancing a full time job or uni. But really and truly anyone with a blog (or an instagram) is a blogger if they want to be. Whether monetisation comes with that is down to luck and a lot of hard graft.

Co Ord - Nasty Gal
Trainers - Fila
Now let's not get things twisted. I would love to monetise at some point. If we're being honest I don't think I've put enough time into my blog to warrant any kind of revenue from it yet. I've also wanted to start a Youtube channel for the longest but fear has managed to put me off it for quite a while (however I am thinking about it more and more as of late so watch this space).

But people constantly shaming people for wanting to create some kind of income from this type of work continues to confuse me. I do understand the disbelief in the career prospects from the older generation as they may not understand why thousands of people would take recommendations from one random girl in London. But other millenials? Putting entrepreneurship down? Shame on you. No one can try to act as if influencer marketing is not a thing. All you have to do is go on your explore page and you can see people eating off Instagram money and they're eating well




Why wouldn't you want the same for yourself? And why would you shame someone for attempting to start that process. Also let's not forget the fact that there are so many jobs that cross over with blogging so people (like me may start with the intention of getting into another field and get ahead of the game) freelance writing, marketing, PR and social media management to name a few? If you are fresh grad applying for a job like this and also happen to have a healthy Instagram following which you've built up from scratch and a solid blog with excellent posts on it that show off your writing style? Can't hurt, right?


Majority of us whether we like to admit it will get a spring in our step when the possibility of making more money is involved. The idea of another stream of income stemming from a hobby? Sounds pretty sweet to me. Sure it takes a while to start seeing this but if people are willing to put in the work, why not support that hustle?

Blogger babes Chloe Plumstead and Gracie Francesca both have posts that I feel are really relevant to this topic, so definitely have a read of those! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig