Tuesday 14 March 2017

Happy Birthday to Me - Life Lessons I've Learnt





Long time no talk, I'm so sorry for the impromptu break, even though it was only a week it felt like much longer but things just seem to get the better of me and time flew by!

So I'm 20 now, it doesn't really feel that different than being 19 except I can't get away with saying I'm a teenager anymore, which I think I'll miss, after all I was one for 7 years!

I'm not really planning this post out how I would usually, I try to write all my points down so there's some type of structure to them (even though it may not seem like it at times) I feel as it's relating to me and my birthday it should be as authentic as possible and hopefully any points that I get down will relate to some of you.

Stop Being So Hard On Yourself
I cannot stress this enough, I know I would've touched upon this in previous posts because I'm such a huge advocate of self love. I feel everyone, especially during their teenage years will go through periods of self doubt and just not give themselves or allow themselves to receive the love that they deserve. This doesn't just mean in romantic relationships even though people often allow themselves to be taken for granted simply because they don't seem to register just how worthy of something better they are. I mean in every sense, that means not letting yourself eat because you feel fat, not allowing yourself sleep because you may not have accomplished every task you wanted to that day. I feel that people are so ready to withhold positives just because they don't feel entitled but who made that rule? You did, in your own head and it's time to stop doing that.

I am the queen of mentally psyching myself out. This is nothing to brag about but trust me I do it more than I should. I can think myself into a bad mood, into crying, just about anything but as I've got older I feel my ability to battle against these negative thoughts has got better and whilst I still sometimes fall into that trap now I'm able to push those thoughts aside.

Not Everyone Was Raised The Same As You
I'm sure you've heard the saying that some people were raised not dragged up. This sounds harsh but can be very true, especially as the older you get you find yourself more and more which often causes you to drift apart from people or have very different opinions on certain issues which can cause a lot of unneeded tension. I can say without a doubt in my mind, with any person that I've "lost" in my life there truly has been no negative outcome. When looking back I genuinely can't remember why I welcomed these people into my life in the first place. As I've grown older my tolerance for BS has really thinned and when I feel someone isn't adding a benefit to my life/they irritate me just for the sake of it, I'm very unlikely to keep them in my company for much longer. Your life just feels a lot better when you refuse to engage in tiring relationships of any sort.

You Will Persevere
I cannot stress this enough. I really can't. Think back to all the times when you were younger and something bad happened, it felt like your world was ending. Fast forward to now, it's really not that big of a deal, right? Throughout my life whether it be personal or educational I felt like I reached breaking point and just wanted it all to be over. But obviously I got past those points and here I am! Majority of the "issues" that come about in your life tend not to actually be as big as you think in the grand scheme of things. This is very cliche but always try to look at the silver lining of every situation.

Making Memories Is Crucial
Something that I do quite a lot is reflect on my life, even though I'm quite young, a hell of a lot has happened meaning that I have a lot of fond (and sometimes not so fond) memories to think about. When I was younger I use to cringe at my mom making us take photos on holidays but now I understand they're her memories, they make her happy and now I'm very similar going through my camera roll and smiling at random times of the day. I care a lot more about the experiences I have because I really want to have good memories to look back on in the future.

Are there any life lessons you feel like you've learnt as the years have gone by? I'd love to know!

Ren x
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Happy belated birthday! Some interesting points here that I totally agree with, in particular acknowledging that everyone was raised different, and keeping this into account when dealing with different types of people. People really do come and go, as you said, and it's just a part of life really. I am also very hard on myeslf as I'm such a perfectionist - but sometimes it's just best to see the bigger picture to stop myself from psyching out!

    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! When I was younger it really use to frustrate me that people just seemed to not share the same values as me but it's really something that can't be helped, you just have to and ways to deal with it. Striving for the best for yourself shows strong character but I'm exactly the same! I expect a lot of myself but sometimes it's good to just take it easy.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig