Thursday 22 February 2018

Why Do I Talk About Race So Much?



Why do I talk about race so much? On my snapchat and Twitter it's a constant topic of discussion for me. Personally I am very aware that constantly speaking about race can portray an aggressive look especially as a lot of the time speaking about injustices faced by POC can come across as angry. Also fulfilling the "angry black woman" stereotype is something I have spent a lot of time in the past trying to avoid. As I've gotten older I have become increasingly aware of injustices that are faced by ethnic minorities, women, the LGBTQ+ community and so on. And it makes me really frustrated. I know that can translate as anger when I go post several snapchats talking about the same issue. Or I see some blatant microaggressions take place in a work place and proceed to rant about it on Twitter.


Speaking about these issues brings awareness, I have by no means a large platform, but I do believe if I have any at all then why would I not use it to speak on issues that are so common place in society that they are almost second nature? I could write endless threads on the casual sexism/racism that take place if you work in a club. I could go on and on about microaggressions that make you as a black woman feel uncomfortable (do you call them out on it? Let it slide?) When your white friend sings the N-word in a song but they meant no harm so why am I taking it so personally?


Being black is something I'm incredibly proud of. I love it and I wouldn't ever want to be anything else despite the discrimination that I have experienced knowing full well that being black is the only factor. I also hold myself in quite high regard, despite being young and I assume/expect other POC to do the same. So when I see race being a major issue it confuses me and makes me want to speak out. Why is race the deliberating factor in so many situations? Why are people being mistreated on little else than their skin colour and their dialect? Of course not everyone will value you as much as you value yourself, and therefore they won't always treat you how you feel you should be treated. But with social media as prevalent as it is some of the things we see are ridiculous.


I know I find it quite hard to talk about race without going on the defensive but in short the reason I talk about race so much is because a lot of people don't. If race is spoken on more openly I honestly feel it will be less taboo. In Britain, especially racism is very covert and people are more rattled than the idea of being called a racist than actually working on any problematic racist tendencies/preconceived notions they may have. That's something that needs to change ASAP.

Ren x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig